Granny Smith released on Google Play store
Mediocre, the developers behind the amazing smash hit Sprinkle, have released their newest game today titled Granny Smith.
You play as Granny Smith and have to race a little thieving kid through the level to collect your green apples before he can steal them. While the story is completely nonsensical, that’s part of the charm of the game anyway. If you’ve played Sprinkle you’ll already know that Mediocre has a great physics engine, and this game doesn’t disappoint.
Their are 3 playable characters, and each one has a different weight and speed that react realistically (or at least as realistically as such a scenario would have). You race through the levels on roller skates, jumping over obstacles and grabbing zip lines as you crash through houses, buildings and all sorts of other things.
The controls are excellent, mainly because they are simple. There’s no stupid virtual joystick, and there’s only 2 buttons with a single action to perform. You probably won’t get confused unless the action is just going crazy fast (and believe me it can), and it’s rather refreshing to see something so simple yet challenging on a mobile platform. The game looks phenomenal on my Galaxy Note, and the graphics are bright, colorful and well done. Animations are fantastic, and the ragdoll physics lend themselves well to the art style. You’ll also immediately recognize the art style if you’re a fan of Sprinkle.
This is easily some of the most fun I’ve had gaming on a mobile device ever, and I found myself immediately hooked and playing for a solid hour. The level structure is excellent, with an overworld reminisce of Super Mario 3 where you select levels as you go, and this view makes it very easy to keep track of which levels you’ve collected all the apples in and which you still need to work on.
Did I mention that the game records every single high score for every level, and that you can watch them all back again whenever you’d like by selecting the level and hitting replay? It’s a great way to figure out how to catch those apples you just couldn’t quite get (or even find) the first time around.
Check out the feature list from the Play Store listing and the trailer below, and then go grab this absolute gem of a game for $0.99.
Google Play store link:
* Spectacular physics – Granny Smith uses some of the most advanced destruction physics in mobile games. Crash through crates and windows and watch the pieces fly all over!
* Dazzling visuals – Zoom through dozens of vibrant, whimsical worlds! Each level is like a fanciful, three-dimensional storybook.
* Intuitive controls – Help Granny pull off crazy moves with simple two-button controls – perfect for both tablets and phones.
* Vintage replays – Watch your best runs in retro movie style with cool camera angles and slow-motion effects!
* Power Granny up – Collect coins and equip Granny with a helmet, banana peels and baseballs. If Granny is getting old, you have two alternative characters to play with – Scruffy and Stanley!
* Additional breakable objects, grass, flowers and dust particles on NVIDIA Tegra 3 devices.
With the apple thief on the loose, Granny is going to need some help. Hop to it!
Latest posts by Nick Sutrich (see all)
- Sonic the Hedgehog appears in Android, now with more Knuckles and Tails – Friday, May 17, 2013
- Galaxy S4 poised to sell 10 million units by next week says Samsung co-CEO – Friday, May 17, 2013
- NVIDIA Shield pre-order one for $349, launch by end of June – Friday, May 17, 2013
- Pebble releases 2-way communication SDK; lets smartwatch send info to your device – Friday, May 17, 2013