[App-Review] CloudOn brings its Office to Android Tablets, Integrates with Drive, Dropbox and Box
UPDATED: May 10, 2012 CURRENT VERSION: 22.214.171.124 REQUIRES ANDROID: 3.1 and up SIZE: 2.7M PRICE: Free For those of you who have not heard of CloudOn, it’s a cloud (obviously) based app that gives you the tools you need to get your work done right at your fingertips. Literally. You can access your information, use [...]
|UPDATED: May 10, 2012|
|CURRENT VERSION: 126.96.36.199|
|REQUIRES ANDROID: 3.1 and up|
For those of you who have not heard of CloudOn, it’s a cloud (obviously) based app that gives you the tools you need to get your work done right at your fingertips. Literally. You can access your information, use popular applications and share your work – in a single workspace, on your favorite tablet.
CloudOn, which has allowed iPad users to connect to its cloud-based versions of Microsoft Office apps for some time now, has released an Android tablet version of the app, you can sync it up with either Box.net or Dropbox, and with the release of the Android app CloudOn is naturally adding support for Google Drive to the mix. Otherwise, it’s essentially the same interface and feature set as you’ll get on an iPad, which is to say a full version of Office hosted in the cloud along with a side of Adobe Reader for other files.
Office’s desktop interface is obviously far from tablet-optimized, but the trade-off in this free app is that you shouldn’t have to worry about losing formatting or not having access to that random pivot table function you can’t live without. It’s available now in Google Play for tablets running 3.2 and higher.
CloudOn makes your Android tablet do some real work.
CloudOn lets you use your tablet to create, view, and edit files directly in Microsoft Word®, Excel® & PowerPoint®. These applications will work the way you expect them to, and your files will look the way you want them to.
That’s pretty cool. But, we know you want more.
CloudOn also integrates with Box, Dropbox and Google Drive. Use CloudOn to connect with these services and open, edit and store your files in one place.
Wait…we’re not done.
CloudOn is equipped with an Adobe Reader and a File Viewer that lets you open and view virtually any file type, including PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
We also know your work isn’t always just for you. That’s why we’ve built the ability to share files with your contacts via email.
With the ability to create, edit, share and save your information, CloudOn is the essential tool for mobile productivity.
The CloudOn Workspace allows you to:
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your Android tablet to create or edit documents.
- Rename, delete and manage documents with your Box, Dropbox or Google Drive accounts
- View virtually any type of file, including: PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
- Send files via email directly from the workspace
- Display, edit or create charts, change formatting, spell check, insert comments, etc into any Word, Excel or PowerPoint files
- Track changes while reviewing Word documents
- Use pivot tables and insert formulas in Excel workbooks
- Display and edit transitions in PowerPoint slides and present in full PowerPoint mode (not in PDF)
- Automatically save documents to avoid losing changes
Running on Motorola Xoom with Bluetooth keyboard:
Haven’t had time to explore all the aspects of the app in depth, but linking to Google Drive and Dropbox was effortless. Familiar layout and controls. A lot more control than other programs I’ve used that are supposed to do the same thing. So far so good. just needs a few updates for it . Some buttons are two small . And the app just does not look sharp. Needs to be smoother looking . And I couldn’t add pictures to my power point because it wouldn’t bring me to my gallery for some reason which needs fixing. Needs better optimization for android tablets.
Latest posts by Dave Thornton (see all)
- HTC One new red colour shows its face on UK website – Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- Raspberry Pi Turbo gets UK made water cooler – Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- Google Drive, Save time with right-click sharing – Monday, May 6, 2013
- Nook Simple Reduced to £29 in the UK While it Lasts – Tuesday, April 30, 2013